In the first installment, I gave a nod to proteins for the healthy boost they can give our dopamine levels. Now, add to your choices, the “Happy Veggies”!
Good news for vegans, and everyone looking for a dopamine feel-good lift, is that many vegetables (because of their folate content) will also help to produce dopamine. Veggies like broccoli, spinach, and cauliflower can increase dopamine, and antioxidants within these and other vegetables have potential to decrease free radicals, which negatively affect dopamine levels from all sources.
- Black beans
Black Bean Guacamole
Who doesn’t love guacamole? By adding the black beans this recipe is even healthier, and happier!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Serving size: 2 tablespoons
- 5 avocados, diced
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place avocados, scallions and lime juice into a large bowl and mash avocados to a coarse puree
- Stir in tomatoes, cilantro and beans
- Season with salt and pepper
- Serve other crunchy veggies
Thanks, Foodbank of Santa Barbara http://foodbanksbc.org/ for this tasty recipe!